What to Do After a Car Accident
Do you know what to do after a car accident in Saco? Regardless of whether they’re big or small, car accidents can leave you shaken. Knowing what to do after a car accident can make the aftermath of an accident less stressful. Be prepared and know what steps to take with this guide from Dover Honda. Then, if you need additional help, feel free to reach out to us today.
What to Do After a Minor Car Accident
Minor accidents can include someone backing into your car in a parking lot in Stratham or a minor fender bender in Salem. If you experience a minor accident, start by:
- Check to see if you or your passengers need medical attention. If someone is injured, call an ambulance right away.
- As long as everyone is okay, pull your vehicle over to a safe spot. Make sure you’re not blocking traffic, but also make sure you remain close to the site of the accident.
- Contact the police. An insurance report can be required by insurance companies for repairs. Even if the other driver doesn’t want to get the police involved, it’s a good idea to contact the police and file an official report.
- Share contact/insurance information. Any drivers involved in the accident should share names, numbers, and insurance information. If you can, get photos of the other person’s driver’s license, license plate, and insurance information. If anyone witnessed the incident, make sure you get their name and number as well.
- Take photos of vehicle damage. Document any damage to your vehicle and any other vehicles involved. If you can, you’ll also want to get a picture of the accident scene.
- Reach out to your insurance provider. It’s important to file car accident insurance claims in a timely manner.
What to Do After a Major Car Accident
Major accidents can sometimes result in serious injuries or even fatalities. Because of this, major accidents require a different approach.
- Immediately call 911. If you or another party are seriously injured, you should call 911 right away. The paramedics and police will arrive to assess the situation. If you require immediate medical attention, you may not be able to document all the information you would during a minor accident. However, you will want to follow up with the police and/or other drivers to get the information you need.
- Follow up with your insurance provider. Even if someone started a car insurance claim for you while you received medical attention, you’ll still need to contact your insurance provider. Your insurance company will need your account to complete a car accident insurance claim and ensure proper compensation.
- Visit a physician. If pain persists or develops following your car accident, you’ll want to see a physician to have it evaluated.
Details for How to File a Car Insurance Claim
The exact process may differ slightly depending on your insurance or provider. However, for the most part, filing a car accident insurance claim is pretty straightforward. You’ll need to provide the following:
- The insurance policy number
- A description detailing how the accident occurred
- Details like the date, time, and location of the accident
- Any contact and insurance information you’ve collected from the other involved parties
- If applicable, the police report number and the name of the police department involved
Next, an insurance adjuster will review your claim to get an estimate of repair costs, review your coverage, and more. Sometimes the police report and photos aren’t enough and you’ll need to meet with the adjuster to have your vehicle inspected.
Get Car Accident Repairs With Dover Honda
To get your vehicle looking and running like new again may require a visit to a collision and service center. The Dover Honda service center and collision teams can repair your vehicle with advanced equipment and OEM parts. What’s more, we can work seamlessly with your insurance company since we are a factory-certified shop! Reach out to us today if you have any questions.
Learn More With Dover Honda
The 2022 Honda HR-V has quickly become one of the most popular vehicles in our inventory at Dover Honda. This is mostly due to the many interior specs and features that are included with the new Honda HR-V. The Honda HR-V interior has been designed to accommodate passengers and cargo for those long drives from…
At Dover Honda, we sell Honda vehicles to all sorts of drivers with different lifestyles. That’s why we offer many Honda Accord colors when you come down to buy a vehicle at Dover Honda. These Honda Accord colors don’t just make your vehicle look nicer but they reflect your personality when you’re driving down the roads…
While the 2022 Honda Civic has been starting to roll out in Dover, the safety ratings aren’t in yet. However, we expect the new ratings to be very similar to the 2021 Honda Civic safety ratings. Learn more about how the Honda Civic is rated along with the Civic safety features today with Dover Honda!…