How to Jump Start a Car
So, your car won’t start? There is a good chance you might need to jump start your car battery. Follow this guide on how to properly jump start a car from Dover Honda. If your battery is nearing the end of its life, visit our service center near Salem for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Before you get started, you need to acquire a set of jumper cables as well as another vehicle with a charged battery. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you have everything you need, follow these steps:
- Park the car with the good battery facing the car that won’t start, then make sure that the vehicle is turned off. Make sure the parking brakes for both cars are engaged.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. To access the battery terminals, you may need to remove a plastic hood.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals and check that they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Place the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Hook the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is securely fastened on both vehicles, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery. Then the vehicle with the dead battery.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
In the event your car won’t jump start, you may need a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Try these troubleshooting steps at home to see if they help the issue:
- If you only hear a clicking sound when you try to start the car, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Dover Honda near Saco for a replacement.
- If the engine fails to turn over, but electrical systems of the car turn on, the problem could be a number of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. Bring your vehicle to a service center so they can check out the issue.
- Make sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after you jump start the battery. This allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Dover Honda for Service
If you need help with a new battery or have to reset your Accord radio codes after a jump-start, reach out to us at Dover Honda! Our service center is located just a short trip from Bow, and we have a rotating selection of service specials and coupons to help you save money on your maintenance and service needs.
More From Dover Honda
The 2022 Honda HR-V has quickly become one of the most popular vehicles in our inventory at Dover Honda. This is mostly due to the many interior specs and features that are included with the new Honda HR-V. The Honda HR-V interior has been designed to accommodate passengers and cargo for those long drives from…
At Dover Honda, we sell Honda vehicles to all sorts of drivers with different lifestyles. That’s why we offer many Honda Accord colors when you come down to buy a vehicle at Dover Honda. These Honda Accord colors don’t just make your vehicle look nicer but they reflect your personality when you’re driving down the roads…
While the 2022 Honda Civic has been starting to roll out in Dover, the safety ratings aren’t in yet. However, we expect the new ratings to be very similar to the 2021 Honda Civic safety ratings. Learn more about how the Honda Civic is rated along with the Civic safety features today with Dover Honda!…