How to Jump Start a Car
So, your car won’t start? There is a good chance you might need to jump start your car battery. Follow this guide on how to properly jump start a car from Dover Honda. If your battery is nearing the end of its life, visit our service center near Somersworth for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Before you get started, you need to acquire a set of jumper cables as well as another vehicle with a charged battery. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you have everything you need, follow these steps:
- Park the car with the good battery facing the car that won’t start, then make sure that the vehicle is turned off. Make sure the parking brakes for both cars are engaged.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. To access the battery terminals, you may need to remove a plastic hood.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals and check that they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Place the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Hook the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is securely fastened on both vehicles, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery. Then the vehicle with the dead battery.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
In the event your car won’t jump start, you may need a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Try these troubleshooting steps at home to see if they help the issue:
- If you only hear a clicking sound when you try to start the car, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Dover Honda near Rochester for a replacement.
- If the engine fails to turn over, but electrical systems of the car turn on, the problem could be a number of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. Bring your vehicle to a service center so they can check out the issue.
- Make sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after you jump start the battery. This allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Dover Honda for Service
Whether you need help with a leaking battery, oil change, worn spark plugs, Honda CR-V maintenance, or locked steering wheel, we can help. You can even find out what what color is brake fluid. Our service center is located just a short trip from Stratham, and we have a rotating selection of service specials and coupons to help you save money on your maintenance and service needs.
More From Dover Honda
If you’re in the market for a reliable sedan in the Portsmouth and Rochester area, you not only want a durable model that can keep you going, but also one that has safety in mind. Thanks to the outstanding 2019 Honda Accord safety ratings, this popular Honda sedan has earned high marks for its handling…
Bold and thoughtful, the alluring exterior of the Honda Accord is easy to understand when you witness it drive down Portsmouth streets, but what are the benefits of the 2019 Honda Accord interior features? The cutting-edge technology and ergonomic comfort of the Accord can be experienced in a test drive—feel free to schedule one—or can…
The Honda CR-V was built to survive everything Portsmouth streets throw its way, from errands to little league games and even road trips. However, the only way your CR-V will live its longest, happiest life is if you abide by the 2019 Honda CR-V Maintenance Schedule. Find out more about the maintenance plan for your…