How to Jump Start a Car
So, your car won’t start? There is a good chance you might need to jump start your car battery. Follow this guide on how to properly jump start a car from Dover Honda. If your battery is nearing the end of its life, visit our service center near Somersworth for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Before you get started, you need to acquire a set of jumper cables as well as another vehicle with a charged battery. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you have everything you need, follow these steps:
- Park the car with the good battery facing the car that won’t start, then make sure that the vehicle is turned off. Make sure the parking brakes for both cars are engaged.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. To access the battery terminals, you may need to remove a plastic hood.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals and check that they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Place the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Hook the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is securely fastened on both vehicles, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery. Then the vehicle with the dead battery.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
In the event your car won’t jump start, you may need a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Try these troubleshooting steps at home to see if they help the issue:
- If you only hear a clicking sound when you try to start the car, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Dover Honda near Rochester for a replacement.
- If the engine fails to turn over, but electrical systems of the car turn on, the problem could be a number of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. Bring your vehicle to a service center so they can check out the issue.
- Make sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after you jump start the battery. This allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Dover Honda for Service
Whether you need help with a leaking battery, oil change, worn spark plugs, Honda CR-V maintenance, or locked steering wheel, we can help. You can even find out what what color is brake fluid. Our service center is located just a short trip from Stratham, and we have a rotating selection of service specials and coupons to help you save money on your maintenance and service needs.
More From Dover Honda
Exploring possible features for your next Honda and wondering, “What is HondaLink?” HondaLink is a connectivity suite that enhances your daily drive in a variety of ways. Enjoy your Somersworth commute more with hands-free calling, music streaming, app access, and much more through the HondaLink app. Check out all of the capabilities of this advanced…
Have you been dreaming about rolling around Portsmouth in a new Honda Accord? We don’t blame you! It’s such a durable car that it’s capable of making it more than 200,000 miles. And there are six available Accord configurations to choose from. You can compare all six of the 2020 Honda Accord trim levels below…
There’s so much for Dover to love about the 2020 Honda Pilot— from the roomy, versatile interior and interconnected cabin to its sleek exterior styling. Even more alluring, the 2020 Honda Pilot has logged outstanding safety ratings which the team here at Dover Honda has detailed below. So if you’re deciding between a Honda Pilot vs….